Friday, May 28, 2010

I love things that remind me of my grandma...


... many of these things naturally revolve around the kitchen. My grandmother taught me to cook and bake well, whether she intended to or not. She was self taught... when she first married she could barely boil water, or so I am told. I find this hard to believe. Now that she is gone, I have inherited her copper bottom pots - and hopefully - the magic contained in them.

My grandmother used to broil every vegetable I can think of with a sprinkle of Parmesan. Now I love cheese ten times more than the next person, but I was a timid eater as a child, and never could quite get into large rounds of eggplant, no matter how much cheese she put on top.

ALSO! At Vons the other day, guess what I found! Little one glass servings of wine! I did not know you could do this, drink one or two, and save the other two without having to have the same kind of wine 4 nights in a row! Fantabulous! Bella Sera Pinot and Barefoot Chard came home with me. I suggest the Bella Sera with eggplant.

All of this matters why?

Because after years of turning up my nose, I have finally found love for the aubergine. Binnie would be so proud! Turns out I needed feta and Greek yogurt and mint to complete the picture.

So here I present to you: Spicy Eggplant stacks! One small eggplant will do for two, but never fear, my dear singles, you will like this so much you will make it twice and the mighty aubergine will not go to waste. Just make sure you do it within a few days, or your eggplant will indeed go to waste... turns out once you cut into them, they dont last very long!

Spicy Eggplant Stacks

INGREDIENTS:

-Six 1/2" slices of eggplant (roughly half a small eggplant)
-olive oil for brushing
-1/2 tsp ground coriander
-1/2 tsp paprika
-1/2 tsp cumin
-1/2 c Greek yogurt
-1/4 c English hothouse, chopped up real nice and small, like Miz T likes
- 1 small garlic clove, or half a good sized one, put through a press or diced up real nice.
-1/2 c feta crumbles
- chopped sprigs of mint to taste, plus three leaves for garnish (you can sub cilantro here, its almost as tasty)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Open mini bottle of Bella Sera and pour entire contents into a wine glass.
2. Preheat broiler, or if you're industrious (or male) fire up the grill.
3. Place slices of eggplant on a cooking sheet and brush both sides with olive oil
4. Mix up spices in a cute little prep bowl.
5. Sprinkle both sides of eggplant with spice mix
6. Broil/grill until charred... if you're broiling, be sure to turn 'em so you get both sides!
7. Stir cucumber,mint, and garlic into yogurt.
8. When eggplant is done, pull them out and place three on a plate.
9. Sprinkle feta on top, then spoon a bit of yogurt concoction on top of that, then top with the other eggplant slice.
10. Do the feta thing again on top of that, then the yogurt thing again.
11. Garnish with mint
12. Open another mini bottle of Bella Sera, eat, drink and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment